We have extended the scholarship application deadline for our Paintings Preservation workshop to July 17, 2019. We have one scholarship available. The scholarship covers registration for the workshop. It does not cover travel, lodging, or other expenses.
Applicants must be employees by or volunteers at a North Carolina institution, with a preservation mission that has little or no funding for professional development, or be a graduate student enrolled in a preservation-related program at a university in N.C. To apply for this scholarship, send an email explaining why attendance is important to you along with a current resume to the NCPC Executive Director. Deadline for scholarship applications is July 17, 2019.
Have you ever pondered the mystery of paintings conservation or wondered how to care for the framed works of art in your own institution’s collection? If so, consider attending a workshop in the art conservation lab at the N.C. Museum of Art in Raleigh, Thursday August 1, 2019. Paintings Conservator, Perry Hurt, will lead the instruction. The workshop will include a primer on paintings conservation concepts, a tour of the museum lab with current projects, and a discussion of collection problems, storage, and safe handling. Participants will learn preservation techniques for the back of paintings, such as re-keying and vacuuming, and will practice upgrading frames with archival backings and hanging hardware.
Interested in hosting a workshop? Go to our Workshops page for more information.
Our quarterly newsletter is now available online. Don’t miss this action-packed issue! Inside you will find:
- NCPC and NCMC announces new Hurricane Response Relief Grant. Applications due July 12, 2019.
- Member News: Duke University Libraries hosts HBCU Conservation Internship
- Member News: The NC Department of Cultural Resources Western Office hosts Military Preservation Workshop on June 17, 2019. Register today!
- NCPC Grant Report: Duke Medical Center Archives receives grant to support purchase of museum vacuum. Training ensued!
- Save the date: NCPC Annual Conference will be on November 15, 2019, at the NC State University McKimmon Center. The topic will be Disaster Planning and Recovery. Call for session proposals goes through July 1, 2019. Please consider sharing your experience and expertise in responding to disasters.
- Support NCPC at no cost to you: Shop Amazon Smile. See newsletter for details.
If you have preservation news you want to see in virtual print, the next deadline for submission is June 15, 2019. See page 8 of the newsletter for more information.