Anne Jennings (L) and Dewey Burges (R)
Anne Jennings and Dewey Burgess from the Camden County Heritage Museum and Historic Jail accepted the 2018 Robert James Award for Preservation Excellence at the 2018 NCPC Annual Conference on November 16, 2018. This annual award recognizes institutions in North Carolina that have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to the preservation of tangible and intangible heritage of enduring value. The NCPC Board of Directors selected the Museum for its commitment to preserving the history of Camden County and its historic jail.
Read the full press release here. Visit these links to view videos that highlight the museum.
“Camden Heritage Museum” [94 seconds]
“Camden County Jail” [7m 42s]
The October issue of NC Preserves is now available. Inside this issue you will find information on
- The upcoming Annual Conference (still time to register!)
- Review of the Summer Storage Camp workshop
- Grant updates
- New member highlights
And more! If you have preservation news to share, get your information to us by December 15, 2018.
Come join the bibliophilic fun! On Friday, September 21, 2018, two expert instructors will teach a variety of techniques, including spine replacement, tipping in pages, end sheet replacement, and repairing paper tears.
- Date & Time: September 21, 2018, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Location: Special Collections Conservation Lab, Joyner Library, ECU, East 5th Street Greenville, NC 27858-4353
- Instructors: Craig Fansler, Preservation Librarian at the Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University, and Larry Houston, Preservation Librarian at the Joyner Library, East Carolina University, will lead the session.
- Who Should Attend? This workshop is intended for staff and volunteers in libraries, archives, museums, historic sites, and other heritage institutions. Books will be supplied for attendees to work on, but you are encouraged to bring 1 or 2 books which need repair. If time permits, we’ll work on what you bring.
- Registration: The registration fee for this workshop is $50.00 for employees of NCPC member institutions and individual NCPC members, and $75.00 for non-members. Click here to register